Monday, August 5, 2013

Be What? . . . . . Submit

I am sharing our daily faith challenges over our blog simply to encourage and generate dialog.  Part of the value in engaging with our faith challenges is hearing other people's thoughts and questions.  I would encourage you to engage conversation with these faith challenges.  Thanks for reading and seeing what God may do in you and through you

Monday, August 5th- Daily Faith Challenge

Read Ephesians 5:21- Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.

Let’s be honest, first glance at that verse, did you get sick to your stomach?  Can you actually say the word, “submit”?  Before we go on with the rest of the week, I want you to really wrestle with, why is that word so difficult to live out?

Paul is pretty clear that we should submit, but when it comes right down to it, it feels more like me training our dog Reesey.  Because when it comes to Reesey and me, she knows who’s boss.  I am her Alpha dog, I am the pack leader. Because I made her submit to me and the way I wanted things to be.  If she over stepped my bounds- nip at Caleb, grab socks, not release those said socks- I would flip her over, grab the scruff of her neck until she submits.  Until she relents. 

I believe when it comes to submitting to other people we have this sense that we are going to be dominated and have to do things the way that person over us tells us to do it.  I think we have this feeling at times that we get grabbed by the scruff of our neck and feel here we go again, I’m a Christian, I have to submit.

Today, simply acknowledge the picture that is painted in your mind and soul of what submission has looked like in your life.  Then quietly, pause and ask God to show you a different picture of submission this week.  As Bill shared last week, tune into the Holy Spirit, and listen to the tune he wants to play for you.

CAUTION- If any of you have experienced submitting in abusive, domineering, controlling ways, this is a much deeper conversation.  I’m not sharing this for us to stay in those type of relationships.  But I am believing that God can bring healing and freedom.  So if we need to have a deeper conversation, please, let’s do that.


I’m wanting the Spirit to move us universally towards something different- healthy and freeing submission.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You would flip your dog over and grab his scruff until he submits over socks?? I'm fairly certain there are other ways to train your dog and for him to see you as a loving leader.You are his guardian, after all.