Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Experiencing God- His Activity

Do we recognize God's activity as a question or as a statement?

Is God active in my life? OR God is active in my life!

I think as much as we long for God's activity in our life, there are things within our life that hinder us from experiencing him on a daily basis. According to Isaiah, and then reiterated by Jesus in the book of Matthew 13:15-16, he shows us what that hindrance is:
“For this people's heart has become calloused; ‘they hardly hear with their ears, and they have closed their eyes. Otherwise they might see with their eyes, hear with their ears, understand with their hearts and turn, and I would heal them.' "

We have a hard time experiencing God in our lives at times, because our eyes are blinded, our ears are muffled, and our hearts are calloused. There are a variety of things that cause this to happen, but my challenge is more, how do we take the blinders off, how do we take the ear plugs out, and how do we soften our heart?

Two ways: Continual connectedness to God and a radical responsiveness to the moment. John 15:4-5 says,
"Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing."
We need to be connected to the source of life and if we are, he will open our eyes, soften our hearts and take the ear plugs out of our ears. We stay connected by his word, prayer, and other disciples encouraging us.

As we become comfortable doing life with God, we begin to experience the power of his life flowing up into our often lifeless world – a power that brings peace even in the storm, a power that gives self control even when we’re angry, a power to live a life of freedom from the chains that enslave us, a power to develop deep authentic relationships, a power to love even the most difficult people and the power to experience joy in moments of each day as every moment of life becomes alive with new possibilities.

Right now, in this moment, are you aware that God is here and wanting you to experience him?

My challenge to you right now is, how do you see God active in your life? What moments, throughout everyday have you seen his activity in your life?

No comments: