Wednesday, February 4, 2009

What is your next step?

As a tribe, why do we exist? As a church, what are we about, what is our mission?

To help spiritually confused people become passionate Christ followers.

Everything we do as a church, is filtered through that mission. And as I studied Jesus and his interaction with his disciples I saw the same thing. We always assume the disciples are these iconic stainglass figures who started the early church with impecable and fearless faith. We overlook where they started. We overlook the fact that these men were simply just ordinary men who were called by Jesus to, "Follow Me." It was in that pursuit, in that journey where these men, through years of following became passionate Christ followers.
I believe the same is true of us today. But I want to see, what is the bench mark of a follower. What is it that Jesus pushed them on, in becoming a passionate Christ follower?

Mark 3:14 "He appointed twelve that they might be with Him and that he might send them out . . . "

Two things come jumping off the page for me when I read this. Jesus wanted his disciples to follow him in two areas, intimacy with Him and influence with others. Because we are all on a journey, somewhere between spiritually confused and passionate Christ follower. It is good to identify, where are we on our journey? And what is the next step I need to take?

Specifically, this week, what is the next step you need to take in growing in itimacy with Christ? What is that next step you need to take where God is more active in your day to day things? Can you ask God, what do you have for me next? Does that draw you closer to him?

Share with us, what it is for you and how you want to be challenged in that next step. Thanks!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just to see the path that GOD has for me is a struggle.

Aaron Martell said...

How much do we worry about the path as a whole? And we simply loose sight of the step in front of us.

Anonymous said...

I can easier identify what God does not want for me. That feeling in my heart, my soul, my gut tells me when I am not living according to His will.

Anonymous said...

As I travel on my journey with God, He shows me what my next step should be. A few weeks ago, I had no clue what that step should be. Wow, He sure had a shocker for me, a layer to peel off my heart about something I don't have any memory of at this time. I am prayerfully asking for Him to reveal things and answer my questions. I need to wait on the Lord for any revelations, doing that to the best of my ability at this time. The journey continues............
Your fellow Christ Follower,
Lori

Anonymous said...

From Jeremy Camp, Carried Me The Worship Project

Jeremy Camp \ I Wait For The Lord

I wait for the lord
My soul waits
I wait for the lord

I wait for the lord
My soul waits
I wait for the lord

In his word I place my trust
In his word I rest
In his word I place my trust
for I know I must wait

I wait for you lord
My soul waits
I wait for you lord

I wait for you lord
My soul my soul waits
Well I wait for you lord (woa yeah)

In your word I place my trust
In your word I rest
In your word I place my trust
For I know I must wait
Ohhh I must wait

Thou shal not live on bread alone
But by every word of God
I will not live by bread alone
But by every word (yeah)

I wait for the lord
My soul waits
Well I wait for the lord
Well my soul my soul waits
Well I wait for the lord
Well my soul my soul waits
Well I wait for the lord
Well my soul my soul waits

This song is all about this place in time for me.
Blessings, Lori